Two big bits of news in this weeks episode, though that doesn’t stop us from talking about a bunch of other things, too. Perhaps the most significant event was the landing of a Lion Air 737 short of the runway at Denpasar, Bali. The plane came to a rest in the ocean, on the rocks adjacent to the airport; all the passengers and crew survived the crash. And, thanks to the on-site experience of our Producer, we have additional insight about the crash site and how much worse things could have been.
The second significant bit comes for travelers looking to find award seats on Emirates flights. Thanks to the new partnership between Emirates and Qantas finding the seats is easier than ever. The Qantas website now shows the Emirates award options, and that means both searching and alerting on the award seats are easier.
Delta is changing their policy for same-day changes on flights and that has a number of people concerned. How bad are the changes and just who is winning or losing? You’ll have to listen to find out what we think.
We also talk about the recent banter between executives at Virgin America and United Airlines discussing the recent significant increase in capacity and decrease in fares between Newark and both San Francisco and Los Angeles. Is it inventory dumping or just a reasonable response to market demands? Probably a little bit of both, though each side sees it a bit more extreme.
Finally, Rolo and Seth discuss their recent experiences on the Thai Airways A380 in first class. Mostly agreement on the seat, service and food quality, though a few differences in the overall reviews.
Give the latest episode a listen let us know what you think.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
- Lion Air splash landing short of the runway at Bali
- Emirates award inventory now available on the Qantas website
- Delta’s new SDC policy – winners and losers
- Frontier launches service from Wilmington, DE for no apparent reason
- Legoland’s new hotel; sadly, no self-assembly permitted
- Sir Richard Branson says United isn’t playing nicely with Virgin America
- Earn airline points rather than (or along with, in some cases) hotel points with a couple new OTAs
You can subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or to the podcast feed.