This post was scheduled to go live on Thursday, July 17, 2014 right around the time that news of the tragedy surrounding MH17 was firming up and becoming more clear. We chose to hold off for a day as it didn’t make much sense to us to push it out at that time. And, while our thoughts and prayers are still with the families of those lost on board, we’re also starting to move on. And so here is Episode 58.
Things don’t always go as planned. We usually recover better than others, even if there is a bit of chaos involved. Still, it is not too common that a simple round-trip requires 10-ish different bookings to make it happen. Oopsie.
- Seth almost got stuck in NYC trying to escape to Canada for a vacation while Stephan almost got stuck in the same storms trying to get to Texas so he could move to Oregon. Air Canada and JetBlue saved their trips, respectively.
- Etihad is launching service to San Francisco on a wet-lease Jet Airways 777. Those planes get around a lot, don’t they?
- The Farnborough Air Show was this week and the big (but not unexpected) news is the launch of the A330neo. AirAsiaX is the launch customer and at least one JetBlue executive expressed some positive feelings about the type, though that’s mostly just rumor-mongering on our part.
- Seth launched a new tool for setting up alerts on Hyatt Gold Passport award nights. It is awesome.
- American is hiring analysts in their AAdvantage group. If you’re willing to live in Dallas and want to help operate a loyalty program as it goes through the pains of a merger then here’s your chance.
- Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker is always fun in an interview; his sound bites are spectacular and are rarely in short supply. So when asked about the delays in delivery of the A380 and why the carrier has rejected it so far, well, let’s just say the entertainment value doesn’t disappoint.
Enjoy the show.
Like what you hear? Support the Show and get early access to episodes.